Sunday, July 5, 2015

Cherish Mother

Mother would say, “You’re going to hate me one day.”
I’d break my back to convince her of otherwise. There’s
something to adulthood: an inner compass, a knowledge
of wrongdoing. Why would I praise her for scarring me!
But it’s not so simple; for some minds are dearly affected,
where wrong means, “You need to see it from my
perspective.” Voices are loud. Drugs are used. Liquor is
water. “It’s not what I do, but what I tell you to do”;
and “Don’t talk to me that way, I’m your mother.” I
would ponder in darkness, amazed by contradiction. But
there are gifts: an addict will teach you; we must pay
attention, read books, and make comparisons. She would
pull me aside, converse a soul, even pass me a ring. We
got along on good days, where I was cautious, for moods
can swing. I type these things, wondering of a future,
attempting to intervene.       

I’d Save The Reader Years

    The beat becomes sickness. A long crucible—a drilling ecstasy. I was losing focus, feeling forbidden, if to self, if to mirrors. So curs...