Friday, September 11, 2015

Session 12

Psychologist: How are you today?

Client: I’m racing through hell, conjuring up images that are triggered by our sessions.

P: When you say that you are racing through hell, what exactly is going on inside of you?

C: It moves from anger to sadness to resentment towards you.

P: Tell me about the anger.

C: I’m angry at my father for not being there for me; and I am angry at you for acting like a father.

P: If you could, what would you like to say to your father?

C: I would like to forgive him, if only he could explain the reasons for not trying harder. So I would tell him to justify his actions, without blaming others for his wrongs.

P: Did it help to say those things to me?

C: It took a little of the pressure off; but I do not see you as being my father. I see you as a person shifting me through emotions.

P: Tell me about these emotions; because it is common to be agitated with someone that is causing strong emotions to come to the surface.

C: I’m glad that you spoke to my concern; because I go from being angry at my father to being angry with you. I wanted a fairytale childhood—at least it seems that way now.

P: What is it that now makes you feel that it appears as a fairytale?

C: So many of my friends come from broken homes. We talk about it all the time. In most cases there is drug use and alcohol abuse. So I often wonder about things like forever. I guess what I am trying to say is, I wonder if things would have gone well with my mother and father if he had stuck around.

P: Does your mother ever discuss this with you?

C: Yes.

P: What does she say?

C: I’m starting to feel boxed in.

P: We can change our topic, if you would like.

C: It’s not that. (Long pause) It’s just that my mother is angry with him. He abandoned us.

P: Does your mother feel this way?

C: Yes! She tells me things that cause her to feel pain.

P: When was the last time that you spoke with your father?

C: It’s been years.

P: What did the conversation look like?

C: He told me that everything would be alright; and I am still waiting.

P: Did he clarify exactly what he meant by alright?

C: I figured he was going to make things better with my mother?

P: Do you worry often about your mother?

C: All the time. It’s been a long road for her and I. She carries a lot of pressure. I often wonder of what I can do to lighten the load.

P: This load that you wish to lighten, does it cause you any stress?

C: I stressed more as a child. She was always trying to make things seem perfect; but I could see the pain in her eyes.

P: Did this make you resent your father.

C: Yes, and no; because I was unclear about a lot of things; but after watching my mother struggle, I imagined that he could make things better.

P: Let’s take a moment to breathe. We’ve just covered a lot; but we need time to sort through everything.

C: Alright. (2 minute pause)

P: I would like for you to continue practicing mindfulness; and I want for you to try meditating for fifteen minutes a day instead of ten minutes.

C: Sometimes I have a good run with meditation; and sometime not so good; but I’m trying.

P: That is all that we can ask for, until it gets easier.

I’d Save The Reader Years

    The beat becomes sickness. A long crucible—a drilling ecstasy. I was losing focus, feeling forbidden, if to self, if to mirrors. So curs...