Sunday, January 19, 2020

We Hunt for Mayberry Continued


In truth, I haven’t been that perfect, or that steady, while holding criticism.

If but to abandon me, if but to laugh outrageously, if but an irrevocable curse; this lens, this sweet butterfly, this beautiful and brilliant but tragic Swan.

Love once said, “You are too independent,” I broke lights to fathom distress.

But a man might depend, a man might worship, if but some type of guarantee; those clocks, their hands, they are both prophetic harbingers and bringers of Good Tidings; as a mere fledgling, looking into mother, needing something incredible; where anything would suffice, even something grim, as long as mother wouldn’t die; but a susceptible youth, befriended by deaths, to become an adult vying for visiting rights. This curse this want while a daughter needs something to feel proud of: those mentors those hands-off clergy members or to invest in something too secure to break.

I imagine this reflection this terrible predicament while wrestling with our condition; at pools meditating, or at church feeling uncertain, or looking into behaviors our daughter must master.

But Love is something curious and screaming, “I never had you.”

            I must gallop through dreams. I must campout on the rooftop. I, too, must teach a Swan to soar. We desire things, those things we can’t give, while demanding these gifts. But a trifle man, but a naked to guerillas man, where I rant and rage and demand something I cannot give. If but to save face if but to advance further while a daughter is watching and taking critical notes.

            I unstitched a wound. I played in it. I even displayed it before a psychiatrist. We chattered through discomfort something natural when discussing human behavior. Such ivy garrets such ivory debates while a quadroon is deciphering what it means to be a hybrid miracle. It becomes surreal. It lives within. It is ever present. But a white mother—but a mulatto father—but a Hispanic sister. This need for Mayberry, this uneven desire, while society is waiting to chew us a new derrière. In truth, it becomes a cagey war, those specters inside, those slow falling petals.

            We seem entwined searching through theories attempting to plant salvation. If but to arise and make proud a seed that has little to decipher with; our deeper discernments, our needs to please and satisfy our souls, or better, our cries to hear our seeds say, “I am proud of you.”

It kills something innocent. We desire with courage. We soon bend truths.

            This Mayberry marathon this tragic chase while some are maintaining a picture-perfect portrait. Our first vignette our second triolet at something too devastating to openly discuss: to puncture palms, those deaf deserters, while I die a man remiss in so many categories; as to rage against a ribcage, or to quote too much scripture, while one is loathing my guts.

I’d Save The Reader Years

    The beat becomes sickness. A long crucible—a drilling ecstasy. I was losing focus, feeling forbidden, if to self, if to mirrors. So curs...